KNOW YOUR LIBRARY
Father of Library Science :
Dr. Shiyali Ramamrita (S. R.) Ranganathan's Five Laws of Library Science (1931) :
- Books are for use
- Every reader his/her book
- Every book its reader
- Save the time of the reader
- The library is a growing organism
Our Motto :
Uninterrupted Service :
Jogamaya Devi College sincerely witnesses 90 years legacy of learning and profound collection of archival heritage enriched Library to support students and academicians. This institution proud of serving the illustrious women in pursuing their glorious path. This is one of the renowned girls’ colleges in Kolkata as well as in West Bengal with around 3500 students. All students and teachers are always cordially invited to use library to encourage reading and learning and to support academic growth of organization. The College has one Central Library and 19 Seminar Libraries for respective departments.
Central Library :
The Central library operates and serves from the ground floor of the Academic Building of Jogamaya Devi College housed at 92, S. P. Mukherjee Road, Kolkata - 700026
Library hours for users from morning 6.30 AM to 11.30 AM on Monday to Friday and till 10AM on Saturdays. It has a great collection of more than 28000 text and reference books and subscribed few important journals, newspapers and magazines to meet patrons requests. Central Library offers a adequately spacious and well-lighted reading room facility for library users. Nearly about 80 students may use reading room at a time.
Library has a good quality archival collection of Sanskrit, English and Bengali literature, Philosophy, Mathematics, History and so on as reference collection.
Central library serves as a core library for General and Honours course students for circulation of books. Membership cards are issued from here for students. It offers stock verification process for all departmental seminar libraries. There are various facilities offered by Central Library. Our resources are classified under DDC 23 rules, and cataloguing and other library management facilities are maintained by Library Management software SOUL 3.0 version; provided by INFLIBNET. Open access facility, Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC) search facility available for users. Institutional membership of British Council and American Library; Kolkata for our users. Online database N-LIST can be accessed by college students and staffs through college library. There are computers provided with internet connection for students and faculty in Central library.
Core and value added services offered for all users as per to meet their academic reference reading.
Central Library is renovated and developed with CSR grant under P. C. Chandra Gyandhara Project and developed an extension in library with very useful knowledge building collection. A huge collection of resources built under RUSA fund and library renovations has been done with help of the same.
Core Services offered by Central library :
- Open Access Library
- Circulation of Text and Reference Books
- Internet Searching Facility
- Wi-fi Facility
- Reading Room Facility
- Book Borrowing Services : 15days
- Reference Services : Online and Offline
- N-LIST Reference Resources : (An initiative of MHRD and INFLIBNET) Access Scholarly E-Resources@N-LIST : Subscribed e-Journals and e-Books
- Library Orientation : Monday to Friday; Time : 09am to 10am
- Ask a Librarian (Email : firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Reputed Journals
- Daily Newspapers
Value Added Services :
- Career Guiding : Books and Magazines and Employment Newspapers
- E-Requisition Facility : How to avail E-Requisition facility: To avail E-Requisition facility, one needs to check OPAC section of our college Library website. Send requirements to either of the mentioned email. Email : email@example.com
- Collaborations : JDC-SANJOG - A collaborative platform launched by Jogamaya Devi College for resource sharing with other academic institutions, and asking for humble collaboration with other institutions for better enriched learning environment .Kindly mail us for professional collaboration. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Online E-Book Delivery Services (Email/Whatsapp) : email@example.com
- Online Book Club for students (To know more meet the Librarian)
- Programmes : Library organizes Webinars on Library resources and various topics related to library, Organizes Book Donation Drive; and so on
- Library Tour (Library visit with our students in groups, they attend Orientation Program there)
- Special Reference Services for Ex-students : We offered Free of Cost Reference Reading facility for our all passed out students
- Archival Collection : We have a good quality of Archival Collection of Books for research reference. This section is dedicated to Lady Jogamaya Devi.
- Special Collaboration with other Institutions : We are helping researchers from other higher education institutions with our library Archival collection in their research work.
- Institutional Membership : American Library Kolkata and British Council Library Kolkata
- JDC is Club Member of National Digital Library of India (NDL)
- Seminar Libraries : The College has one Central Library and Seminar Libraries for respective departments.
Seminar Library :
There are separate seminar libraries in every department for the use of the Honours students & teachers. The departments of Bengali, English, Communicative English, Philosophy, Sanskrit, Political science, History, Sociology, Psychology, Economics, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science, Geography, Geology, Botany, Zoology, and Commerce all have rich collection of Seminar Library. Seminar libraries operates from both Academic and Administrative building of the college.
Seminar libraries are supervised by the Central library. The collection is developed as per demand and requirement of teachers and students. After acquisition of new books, central library processes the newly acquired books for accessioning, cataloguing, classification and preparation of subject bibliography, after entering the barcodes. Then, the newly purchased and processed books are sent to the respective departments. Seminar collection registers for all seminar libraries are maintained by Central library and the respective department representatives of seminar library maintain their own register after handover of books. Seminar library stock verification process done by Central library.
Moreover, library staffs regularly take care of library resources by maintaining and operating circulation, helping patrons to find and search catalogue, helping to resolve their queries, and sincerely communicating with students as well as faculties to serve them better and to grow together.
Contact us : firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact us : email@example.com